The works of architect Oscar Niemeyer (1907-2012) can never be considered boring. On the contrary, each one is a landmark, which gives many Brazilian cities an identity.
Such as Niterói, the neighboring city of Rio de Janeiro, that is the proud owner of the futuristic Museu de Arte Contemporânea since 1996. Brasilia, the still young capital of Brazil (1950), is also filled with beautiful buildings from his masterly hands.
It all started in Belo Horizonte.
The buildings of Oscar Niemeyer in Belo Horizonte:
1. Igreja Sao Fransisco de Assis
When Niemeyer was 33, he was commissioned to design several buildings in a new development in the north of Belo Horizonte: the now-famous Pampulha. In 1943, several buildings including the ‘Igreja Sao Fransisco de Assis’ were completed.
These works have had a large impact on modern Brazilian architecture. The church is considered one of his greatest masterpieces. It was so different from the traditional church buildings at the time that it encountered a lot of opposition from the Catholic Church, and it wasn’t until 1959 that it was consecrated.
Address: Avenida Otacílio Negrão de Lima 3000 in Pampulha
2. Casa do Baile
Address: Avenida Otacílio Negrão de Lima 751 in Pampulha
3. Residência de Juscelino Kubitschek
Address: Avenida Otacílio Negrão de Lima 4188 in Bandeirantes (Pampulha)
4. Museu de Arte da Pampulha’
Address: Avenida Otacílio Negrão de Lima 16585 in Pampulha
5. Edificio Niemeyer
You don’t need a guide; you will recognize his work immediately, such as the ‘Edificio Niemeyer’ (1955), which can be found on the Praca da Liberdade in the Savassi district. It is a towering apartment complex with beautiful curved lines.
6. Edifício JK
The ‘Edifício JK’ (1951), built in the Barro Preto district.
Address: Rua dos Guajajaras 1268
7. Cidade Administrativa
And one of his last works; the futuristic ‘Cidade Administrativa’. The complex consists of 6 government buildings that were opened in 2010 and is the seat of the regional government of Belo Horizonte. Cidade Administrativa is considered one of the most impressive buildings of the past 50 years in Belo Horizonte.
Address: Rodoviária Papa João Paulo II 4001 in Serra Verde