What is the digital nomad visa?
The digital nomad visa is formally called the Visa – digital nomad (VITEM XIV). The visa is intended for people who work online and remotely for employers or clients abroad. With this visa, the Brazilian government hopes to entice digital nomads to settle temporarily in Brazil. You do not pay tax on your income in Brazil. The visa is valid for 1 year and you can extend it for another year. In this article I explain to you what steps you need to take in your own country and in Brazil to obtain this visa.
How do you apply for a digital nomad visa for Brazil?
I applied for the visa at the consulate in Amsterdam in the Netherlands. Check whether certain parts of the application process differ in your country. To get started, complete the application form. You do that here. In addition, you must provide the following documents and information in English.
- A copy of your passport, which is valid for at least 6 months.
- A recent passport photo measuring 3.5 x 4.5 centimeters.
- An international Certificate of Conduct (Certificate of Good Conduct), which is not older than 90 days. You must send a request to the Brazilian consulate by email (email@example.com) with a photo of your passport. Then you apply for the Certificate of Good Conduct here. Once you have received the VOG, you will still need an apostille from the Amsterdam District Court. You do not need to make an appointment for this at the Amsterdam District Court.
- An international Birth Certificate with an apostille from the Amsterdam District Court.
- Insurance for the period that you stay in Brazil and is of course valid in Brazil.
- A statement that you work online and remotely. This statement must have a legalized signature. You can legalize this signature under the statement at the municipality of Amsterdam. You do not need to make an appointment for this. Afterwards, an apostille from the Amsterdam District Court must be placed on it again.
- A contract with your employer or customers in English or Portuguese. This does not have to be an official translation.
- Proof of sufficient financial resources. This could be a monthly income of $1,500 or a bank equity of $18,000.
You must upload all these documents as PDF at the end of the application form. After you have sent the form, you will receive a number and you must print the application. You must paste a passport photo on that document and sign it. You must take this document with you to your appointment.
How do you schedule an appointment with the consulate to collect your visa?
To schedule an appointment with the consulate, you must complete an online form here (230802-503597) and upload all documents again. At the appointment itself, you pay fees, receive a sticker in your passport and a document that you must take with you to Brazil.
What should you do once you arrive in Brazil?
In Brazil you must register as a foreigner with the Policia Federal within 90 days. I did that at the Policia Federal in São Paulo. The address is R. Hugo D’Antola, 95 – Água Branca, São Paulo – SP, 05038-090.
Before you can go there, a number of things need to be done. You can’t just go there on spec.
- You must complete a registration form here. You must then print this form.
- You will receive a confirmation by email. It contains a number, the so-called código de solicitação. Use this number to schedule an appointment here. You must then print out the confirmation of the appointment.*
- You must pay a fee of 204.77 reais in advance (this amount may change over time). The code for these fees is STN 140120. Here you fill in a form using the above code. Print this form and take it to a Banco do Brasil, where you pay the fees. You must take the proof of payment with you to your appointment at the Policia Federal, just like the above documents.**
At the Policia Federal you ultimately have to pass 6 counters.
- At the entrance on the ground floor you must identify yourself and your photo will be taken.
- On the ground floor you will then be sent to a counter on the left where the documents for your appointment will be checked.
- You will then be sent to a counter across the street, where you will have to fill out a form. The so-called Declaração Eletrônica e Demais Meios de Contato.
- If you have completed and signed it correctly, you will be sent upstairs to a counter where you will actually be registered. Because you have an appointment, you usually don’t have to wait long.
- After you have successfully registered, you will be asked to wait in the adjacent salon for a document. You have to wait until your name is called.
- With that document you have to go to a counter that can be found on the same floor, on the right at the end of the corridor. At that counter you will receive your temporary registration documents with your registration number, Registro Nacional Migratório – RNM (formerly called Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros – RNE).
Within a month or 2 they will send a message to your specified email address, when you can pick up the registration card at the Policia Federal.
How do you extend the digital nomad visa?
The visa is therefore valid for 1 year, but you can extend it for another year. You do not do this at the Policia Federal, but at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Sâo Paulo called Ministério das Relações Exteriores – Escritório de Representação em São Paulo (ERESP). The address is: Av. Brig. Faria Lima, 1478 – 6º andar – Pinheiros, São Paulo – SP, 01451-001.